As an Educator, you can play a unique role in protecting U.S. plant resources. When you share your knowledge, its impact is exponential. That's why you are First Detector's top priority. This program began a "train the trainer" effort, and we strive to continue empowering you by providing a repository of Educator tools. Take a moment to explore these resources, including:
- Scripted presentations
- Online e-learning courses
- Training certificates
- Printable pest identification guides
- Posters & bookmarks
- First Detector newsletter
- Training videos
- Educator kits
Who Educators Are
Educators are trained First Detectors who recruit and train other individuals to notice and report exotic plant pest and pathogen activity. They build the First Detector network within their own professional realms, dramatically increasing the program's reach. Professionally, these individuals may be educators, diagnosticians, plant health care professionals, or conservationists.
What Educators Do
First Detector Educators play two main roles: authoring educational content and conducting face-to-face First Detector certification training programs in their communities. These workshops cover:
- an introduction to the First Detector program
- how individuals can get involved and expectations of First Detectors
- the environmental and economic impacts of introduced plant pests and the crucial role of early detection of introduced species
- how to recognize suspect target pests
- procedures and protocol for submitting samples to the local diagnostic lab
How to become a First Detector Educator
If you are a professional educator, you can become part of the First Detector Educator team as a workshop coordinator or state coordinator! First, you must complete First Detector training by:
- Participating in a First Detector or Sentinel Plant Network training program
- Successfully completing the First Detector online certification and special topic courses.
If you are not an Educator, the NPDN Training and Education committee will consider individual requests for Educator access. Please email Rachel McCarthy for more information.
Educator kits containing pest scouting cards, hand lenses, and hip packs are available to help you lead First Detector training. Please contact Rachel McCarthy at email@example.com for more information.